Monday, November 5, 2007

It is a truth universally acknowledged...

...that a single man in possession of a BPharm must be in want of a wife.

At my step-cousin's 5th birthday party today (fairy themed, if you must know, and the first time I've been out of the house in a terrifyingly long time), I met the kind of guy my mother would love me to marry one day. The essential criteria being:
  • Vietnamese. Glory of glories.
  • Pharmacist. A Doctor (*cue sounds of ethnic parentals swooning*) would be preferred, or a dentist, cos we don't have any in the family and we want fillings on the cheap, dammit! But the hierarchy goes Y Nha Duoc (med, dent, pharm - ask any Viet and they will know this holy trinity) and 3rd place would do. Think of the ten thousand pounds a year! Marry out of the law, commerce, health or engineering faculties, on the other hand, and you'd be personally reponsible for the Apocalypse.
  • Mostly harmless.
And probably prioritised in that order as well. On the plus side, he was nice enough, tall, had a deep voice, and could play with kids. On the minus, he was in need of deodorant. But you know what they say about judging a book by its...odour.

One of my theories about why there seem to be craploads of Asian female Janeites is that we are STILL LIVING in the land of 19th-century rigid unspoken social conventions. Girls are still groomed to have "accomplishments" - piano-playing, BMeds - and concerned relatives are still plotting about how to marry them off advantageously. P&P tells us we can find twue wuv even within the confines of convention. Plus ca change, plus ca doesn't.

3 comments:

chvi said...

DUDEEEEEEE!!!

YOU FOUND THE PERFECT GUY!!!

LOL!!!! Why do we stick to these rules??? U better snatch him up before my mother finds him and tries to sell him to me. LOL. Oh yeah, my mum is prepping herself for the HUNT. And not just that, she assures me that there's quote: "lots of vietnamese drs around, I'LL FIND HIM!!"

Please help me. LOL

PS. How old was this guy? U know it becomes very sad for the guy when his mum is trying to sell him off. It means he has no balls. And i actually don't want to get w anyone like that. LOL

td said...

Haha The Hunt...dear lord. Good luck to you babe. I've still got a few cousins to be married off before me, thank gad.

He's about 25-6yo I think, first year out of pharm (and he did a year of law before). He wasn't there with his mother, another plus.

I think we stick to the rules cos we have totally internalised them and are CONTROLLED FROM THE INSIDE.
(hm, delusions of passivity...)
There is no escape!

Chelsea said...

Heh, honey you're such a cliche :) Love you.