Monday, October 13, 2008

Unbearable whiteness of being

Home from my first ever graveyard shift in ED. It was a warzone last night. The combination of weekend drink-driving, rain and a motorbike nation is deadly. The room was full of head injuries, people vomiting and seizing and yelling and moaning and banging on their stretchers, many crudely restrained with their limbs tied to the the bed. Ears ripped off, partly severed fingers dangling, faces disfigured from swelling. Twice, power failures plunged us all into darkness. Patients and relatives kept clutching at me, "doctor, my arm is so sore, what can you do doctor", "doctor, help my son, please doctor", "doctor, the drip doesn't work". I don't know why they chose me out of the other students there - maybe because I look older, or because I'm not wearing the blue-striped coat that Viet students wear, or maybe because I haven't learnt the art of ignoring yet and still make eye contact. I felt helpless before such need, not having any answers, not knowing who to tell - just starting to get to recgonise the staff here. I didn't know whether to pass on their pleas or not? To my shame, in some cases I didn't do anything. But in the end I decided this was cowardice; it cost me nothing to ask. I napped a few fitful hours in the nurses' change room and wondered at how they could wake up immediately, get themselves impeccably neat, and head back into the fray at ungodly o'clock. It's practically heroic.

I did CPR for the first time on a real person. She was a middle-aged Jane Doe, with hair and skin tone revealing that she was probably a daughter of the war, half GI, half Vietnamese. Her feet were already blue. She had blood coming from her face; I couldn't tell if her upper lip was still there or not. The contents of her pockets were thrown on a tray: a wad of paper money, some silver jewellery, but no ID. I got some of her blood on my coat. When I returned from getting a scrub top from theatre as replacement, she was under a white sheet. Another first.

If this sounds emotionally flat, it is because I am. I'm washed out from the flu and from...I dunno, what's the noun for overwhelming? That. I'm curiously untraumatised. The glaring clinical whiteness of the ED - white-uniformed nurses, blinding white lights, reflective white floor, white walls, white doctors' coats - contrasts weirdly with the broken bodies lying there in pools of their own blood. It contributes to a sense of removal. Sure, I connected to a few people I interviewed and examined, but the innumberable semi-conscious head-injured started to blend in to each other, an undifferentiated mass of Them.

I'd like to say I feel that I've lost something, but I'm just tired.

2 comments:

Dragonfly said...

Wow.
The first person I did CPR on had probably been gone for at least 3 hours, but as it was an infant, all stops were pulled out as soon as she was carried through the door. I remember everyone asking me if I was ok, and me feeling the expectation to be upset.
Hope you feel better soon (flu-wise and otherwise).

td said...

A kid, wow. Were you upset? The answer to that is no longer self-evident.

Less woozy now thanks. Just hypersecreting still. (ick)