Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Why there will never be Grey's Anatomy: The Med School Years

Actual conversation today.
R: So what did you do yesterday?
Me: Mmmm nothing much. Studied. You?
R: Meh, same.

[5 minutes later]

Me: Any plans for tonight?
R: Study probably. You?
Me: Yeah, gotta cram for derm tute tomorrow.
The glamorous lives of medkids, ladies and gentlemen. Where is the sex in anatomy labs I was promised?!

This is just in case you were wondering why the posts about the actual process of aquackening are rather sparse here. Want to hear about, um, the textbook I read yesterday? Ophthalmology Made Ridiculously Simple, if you must know. Don't mock, it covered 90% of the stuff we got in lectures today. I bite my thumb at fat textbooks. Why get bogged down in detail when a skinny book with cartoons can tell you the basic essentials like: don't press on a possibly burst eyeball, for that will make the goo come out. Good to know.

Ophthalmology week has been pretty interesting actually. I like the anatomy and physiology of it, probably because we did heaps of vision stuff in psychology so it mostly makes sense. Briefly wondered why I didn't do optometry and then remembered that their whole job seems to be "now which lens is better, one or two? two or three? three or four? four or should I go with the gas oven or the razor blades?". Wouldn't mind ophthalm as a job except for the apparently crazy competition to get in...who's got that much ambition? The ophthalm lecturers we've seen so far seem cool. I've decided that I will probably choose my specialty based on whether I like the type of people who are in it. So...surgery it is!

(cut to: Satan getting frostbite)

1 comment:

Jeffrey said...

thats prob one of the biggest influences on career choices - the people you meet. how they treat you, how nice they are, how they carry themselves, how they influence you.

surgery it is ! glad to hear that.

any surgical-related posts, please consider contributing to the surgical blog carnival at http://surgexperiences.wordpress.com

best regards