Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New Year's resolutions

Yeah yeah yeah, it's February. Well the lunar new year just passed, along with my 22nd birthday. I swore to myself I wouldn't be one of those women who are insecure/coy/precious about their age but OMFGIAMOVERTHEHILLANDWILLENDASPINSTER!!!!111!

Ok. Resolutions.
  • Read non-med stuff every day. Went book-crazy on my birthday and bough like $60 worth of fun books including Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks (two loves in one), Phillip Pullman's Northern Lights omnibus (Nicole Kidman made me) and The Odyssey (to see what all the millennia-long fuss is about).
  • Do some study every day.
  • Make exercise a habit. Already some progress: got a swim pass and swum 1.5k today.
  • Eat less crap. Helped by swimming cos calories have more meaning when counted in laps.
  • Write. Stop being in denial, apply ass to chair and ink to paper. Doesn't have to be any good.
But most of all, take no one's shit. After Vietnam and to some extent Airlie, I'm sick of being patronised and put down by men with planet-sized egos and presumably diminuitive....feet. One thing I've learnt is that there's an steel shard of self-respect buried beneath the tons of insecure neurotic baggage. Who'dathunk. This resolution is tempered by two others however: pick my battles and be kinder. Cos not taking shit can manifest in churlishness and defensiveness and that's hardly better than being a doormat.

Oy navel gazing again.

No comments: