Thursday, November 13, 2008

West Winging it

The West Wing totally called the US election. Matt Santos, token ethnic president based on Obama, campaigning on a message of change, wins against maverick Republican partly based on John McCain - check. Chooses Josh Lyman, based on Rahm Emanuel, as chief of staff - check. The only thing that's missing is the theme song.

I had a post-election squee post but my wifi died and I lost the nerve to press "publish" afterwards. Luckily for you: I was kinda delirious after 150 hours of election coverage. Gotta admit, this Australian shed a little tear. Democracy in action, yknow? And hope in the face of one screwed up world.

Been obsessively following the news, far more than is healthy for someone who's NOT AMERICAN. SMH, Huffington Post, New York Times, New Yorker, Guardian, Washington Post, Politico. This real time thing is too slow, I wanna know what happens in the next episode NOW! Where's the DVD box set?

For your perusal:
  • The rise and fall of John McCain. New Yorker.
  • An oldie but an of coursie: a conversation between Jeb Bartlett of WW and Obama. NYT.
  • Tears along with the joy. NYT blogger.
  • Can Obama be the next FDR? New Yorker.
(what, you got something against New Yawk?)

2 comments:

Dragonfly said...

I really have to watch the WW. I have friends who have the set and keep threatening to lend it to me.....
I am such a current affairs junkie....we had to adjourn OSCE practice on E-day once we heard speeches on a radio someone had blaring in another room.

Dragonfly said...

Aaaand...you've been tagged for a completely random book meme (not the 100 book one I promise).