Thursday, September 20, 2007

Rural evangelism

So, I have been touched by inspiration. Dirty thing. No, I had this simple idea months ago at the Albury rural conference, but am finally getting my ass into action. Using pot-banging skills I acquired in rather different circumstances in fact- ta Jerry, ailing bushies will thank you one day (I bloody well hope)!

First I have to explain the plethora of acronyms about to be used. I hold a Bonded Medical Place (BMP), which means that for the privilege of plonking aforementioned ass in the hallowed halls of Newie Uni med school, the government owns my soul for 5 years. I still have to pay HECS fees like everyone else and there are no scholarship cookies. It used to be that I had to work 6 years in a District of Workforce Shortage (which can be anything from outer metro to beyond Whoop Whoop) after my fellowship, or else spit out $100 000 in repayment to the government. That meant I was bonded til about age 36. Yes, THIRTY-SIX YEARS OLD. Now the contract's changing so that the bond is only 5 years AND I can do half while training as long as it isn't inner metro, which means only 2.5 years of post-fellowship servitude (so make that 32.5 years old, still within baby-making range). Hallelujah! God only knows why the government decided to be nice to us. They also put in a new BMP Support Scheme run by the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM). It involves online education modules and e-mentorship and the true carrot, conference attendance: travel, accomodation and registration for FRRRRRREEEEE! I already took advantage of conference funding to go to Albury- mainly cos it was FRRRRRREEEEE! And along the way somehow got provisionally converted to the rural cause. Sort of.

The other thing is the John Flynn Scholarship Scheme (JFSS), also run by the ACRRM. You send in an application and from those, people are interviewed for a scholarship. You basically do work experience with a rural practitioner for 2 weeks per year for 4-5 years to get a feel for medicine out bush. And get paid $500 for each week, along with FRRRRRREEEEE travel and accomodation! (sense a theme here?) I got one of these scholarships, by secret fenimine wiles or something.

Who can put 2 and 2 together? My idea is this: they should allocate some extra JFSS places for BMP students. Simple. Same tough application process, but BMP's get a slight leg up from the unwashed masses. Pros: for BMPs, there's the FRREEEEE and the $$$$$ and the mentorship and the experience. For the government, they get potential rural recruits. It's not preaching to the converted because BMP students are not absolutely bound to go bush, we have a choice to go into outer metro areas as well. And even if later BMPs are pushed to rural areas by competition, then the JFSS will have prepared them. Instead of resentful BMP doctors flung blindly into the bush, you get people with some rural know-how. BMPs are ideal targets for the JFSS because many are from city backgrounds and don't know much about rurality, although they are likelier than normal HECS students to have to work out bush. In short, fun and profit for students (who otherwise get hardly any love in this BMP deal with the devil), for the government and the taxpayer, and for the poor sick rural folk.

And how is this all to be funded? Note how both the conference attendance and JFSS involve cost of travel and accomodation. The only difference is the cost of conference registration vs cost of paying mentors and communities, who get a stipend to support John Flynn scholars. THUS. The funding for extra JFSS places can come out of the BMP Support Scheme's conference wallet and redirected to this JFSS-4-BMP thing. Conferences are cool and all, but I would bet cold cash that students would be keener to get hands-on clinical experience than sit and be lectured at for a week, even if it's in glorious Albury-town. And it's better value for the government, since the JFSS plays into their rural conscription strategy unlike conferences which have nothing to do with recruitment at all. PLUS ACRRM runs both the JFSS and BMP support!

It's bloody win-win and cost-neutral and the infrastructure is already in place! How can anyone not see the perfection of this? I've written to the NRHN's BMP rep to try and get their support since they seem a natural ally, but he's a bit cool about the idea. I suspect that he's not even that pro-rural; he just sent me this long letter about the government's Grand Rural Conspiracy which isn't even exactly relevant to the proposal. You'd think the National Rural Health Network (peak body of university rural health clubs) would be all over this, n'est-ce pas. I mean I myself am not fully rah-rah-rah "gimme a R! gimme a U! etc" rural evangelist but I am all fired up about this because imho it is elegant and so freaking obvious. I've also contacted the ACRRM and Department of Health and AMSA peoples and plan to send word out to fellow BMPs to get support, via the BMP newsletter run by the department. I have a mind to bang the pot at the Health Minister Himself and his Labor counterpart; it is an election year after all. This had better work! I will lose faith in reason and democracy if it doesn't. I mean apart from the West Wing.

1 comment:

Dragonfly said...

Ah TA at the NRHN conference. "We are not worthy". Good times :-)